Monday, October 15, 2007

Now that's more like it!

aaahhhhhhhhhhhh..................


What a morning! Classic Seattle! Solid grey, drizzly, maybe 50 degrees.....ahhhhh.....I love mornings lke this for two reasons.

The first reason I love mornings like this is that there are lots and lots of mornings like this, and if you happen to be born and raised here, there is an inkling of comfort to them. It's subtle, and in fact some folks don't even know they're feeling it, but I am convinced it is widespread amongst natives. Just a little voice going "wheew.....finally that ickey HOT WEATHER is over with. Back to flannel sheets and gore tex pajamas! Back to NORMAL."

(
when I was a kid I came across my dad's Bill Cosby comedy records, the ones he made in the 60's. There is a bit about Seattle where he has a protagonist screaming 'what is that flaming orb in the sky!? It's drying out my sinuses!' classic stuff.)

Now, I dont want to sound like a grump about summer. I love summer. And not only is Seattle one of the most beautiful places in the world during summer, I spend a fair amount of time screaming as much to skeptical folks all over the world, who envision monsoons and muddy streets filled with flopping, suffocating salmon. I just always have this nagging sense that I don't quite deserve that amazing 81 degree beach day or boat jaunt or golf outing or whatever. We all feel like it's an anomaly, a mistake by Jeff Renner, anchorman....of course seems to be changing. What with climate change, and drowning polar bears and such, based on this last summer we may be desert-like in a few years. But for NOW, I think our intuition is correct....any sunny day is just not the way things really are here.

And if you don't like it, you can move back to LA. They are called seasons. There are four of them. Look into it.


whew.


The second reason I love mornings like this is that mornings like this are ideal for running. I took the weekend off, because my legs were feeling dead, so naturally I felt strong like bull this morning. I started what I thought was going to be a standard 6 or 7 miler from Gasworks, only to have the sucker reach epic proportions on me. I felt like a million bucks at the end, stretching at the top of the big hill there, and tried a couple of Victorious Hunter-style pictures with my camera's self-timer...



The first one's pretty good. The wind blew the phone off of its' little tuft of grass right before snapping the second one. I just wanted you all to see that I tried.

by the way....there were about a hundred candle nubs up on there on the tiles by my feet there, left by some pagans, or picts, or druids or whatever. PICK UP YOUR SHIT WHEN YOU ARE DONE, OR I WILL TELL JESUS!


No comments:

counter